Gulf Islands Secondary School
Grades 9-12, 580 students, built in 1994, international students program, fine arts program, French Immersion offered, full academic programs in arts and sciences, all major athletic programs, peer tutoring, leadership classes, French and Spanish, regular performances, intramural activities.
- A large school population of 1070 students in grades 9-12 and 75 staff
- Is the closest Saanich high school to downtown Victoria (15 minute drive)
- A strong tradition of academics, fine arts and athletics
- Holds academics in very high regard by supporting students who are taking provincial exams and pursuing scholarships
- Features Advance Placement Programs in Calculus, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, French and Spanish.
- Offers a variety of elective programs such as journalism, computer technology, photography, writing, acting and technology education
- Proud of its Claremont Theatre, a 250 seat facility with professional lighting and sound systems, home to strong musical theatre, drama and dance programs.
- Runs a popular Physical Education program with outdoor education opportunities for senior students
- Created the Claremont Sports Institute (CSI) specializing in rowing and field lacrosse.
- Offers a strong extracurricular athletic program especially in volleyball, track and field and basketball.
- Encourages all students to get involved in a wide variety of teams and clubs
- Has an on-site 400 metre running track, attractive playing fields, tennis courts, 2 gymnasiums and a weight room.
- Close to the Elk Lake training facility for the National Team rowing program and near the Commonwealth Pool aquatics training centre
- Conveniently located on a public bus route with easy access to community and business facilities.
- Situated in a pleasant residential area with a scenic view of the ocean over beautiful Cordova Bay
For well-rounded academic students who are focused and who have clear goals.
- Student population: 1100
- Closest school to downtown Victoria (10 minute drive)
- Strong tradition of fine arts, athletics, and academics
- Hold academics in very high regard by supporting students with provincial exams and the pursuit of scholarships
- Strong extra-curricular volleyball, track and field and basketball programs
- The smallest secondary school in the district with 800 students in grades 9-12 and 60 teaching staff.
- Big enough to offer a full range of programs but small enough so everybody knows each other.
- Enjoys strong student involvement in school activities
- Headquarters for the Saanich International Students Program
- Parkland is built on a natural, picturesque site, surrounded by municipal and provincial parks and across the street from the ocean.
- Located in the beautiful, waterfront town of “Sidney by the Sea”, 18 kilometres from Victoria.
- Conveniently located near the B.C. Ferry terminal to Vancouver, close to the Victoria International Airport and right on a public bus route.
- Check out Parkland’s new Judo Academy www.parklandjudoacademy.ca
For well-rounded academic students who embrace diversity, who have a sense of adventure, and who appreciate positive relationships.
- The largest school in Saanich District with 1170 students in grades 9-12 and 100 teachers and support staff.
- Stelly’s is known as “The People Place”- a caring, trusting school where students are treated with respect and fairness and where “every student can find a place”.
- Features a unique “Teacher Advisor Program” that allows all students daily contact with the same “home base” teacher and group of peers throughout their years at Stelly’s.
- Boasts a strong Academic program with an excellent record of provincial exam results and scholarship acquisition.
- Hosts the District’s high school French Immersion program and also offers second language classes in Spanish, Japanese and French.
- Proud of a diverse Technical Education program with modern shops for woodwork, metalwork, drafting and automotive as well as a fully equipped teaching kitchen and new foods lab.
- Provides district leadership in apprenticeship programs for chef training, carpentry, machining, welding and automotive.
- Offers a complete Fine Arts and Performing Arts Department featuring visual and graphic arts, musical theatre, band, choir and dance classes.
- Operates a popular Outdoor Education program with Physical Education 11 and 12 expeditions to Mt. Albert Edward, the Sayward Lakes, the Juan de Fuca Trail and the West Coast Trail.
- Runs a competitive athletic program with 25 teams in all the major B.C. School Sports categories. Enjoys 2 gymnasiums, a weight room, an outdoor tennis court, excellent soccer and rugby fields.
- Celebrates the culture and traditions of the four local First Nations communities.
- Profiles a variety of extracurricular and club experiences that provide opportunities beyond the classroom.
- Features the Boulders Climbing Gym, the largest indoor climbing facility in any high school in Canada.
- Centrally located on a public bus route 20 minutes drive from Victoria, with easy access to local attractions like the world famous Butchart Gardens, parks, beaches and various community facilities.